Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Letters

Within the last few months or so Lilly has become interested in letters and in writing. I have always tried to "teach on the go", meaning I spell out loud as I write or try to point out different letters so we can begin recognizing and connecting, but I didn't really think that it would show payoff for a while. In the picture is a card to Grandma for her birthday. I asked Lilly like always if she wanted to add something to it and she said yes she would like to write her name. So together we wrote her name and after we had written it she said "no mama I do it myself" and so I let her do it. I could hear her repeating the letters as she wrote each one (just like we do when we write together) and when she showed me the card there sure enough was her name written almost completely legibly (with an extra y, she got a little excited). At the bottom of the card are a bunch of straight lines and those are all of our names. She was on a roll and just didn't want to stop but hasn't really learned those letters yet. I thought it might have been a fluke but sure enough a few days later she wrote her name on a random piece of paper, so she must write with purpose. Yay for learning!

Of course she's no super writer and it may just be a mother and father's love that causes us to see through the scribbles and see the letters, but regardless we are so proud!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The card is wonderful!!!