Sunday, March 11, 2012

The letter F

My turn to teach preschool came and went. I had a lot of fun thinking of what fun things I might be able to teach about. The other mommies had some really fun classes and Lilly loved them so I knew the bar had been set high. I racked my brain as to what topics might be fun and I decided to lead off with 2 topics I find to be of great importance. Fire safety and Friends/manners.

I tried to get as creative as possible with still keeping it preschool friendly. For fire safety day we talked about the rules of fire safety and practiced stop drop and roll as well as crawling low to the ground under smoke. We sang songs about fire truck and 911as well as did some fun crafts; a firefighter friend (made out of a toilet paper roll) and a fire truck made out of geometric shapes.

For our lesson on friends and manners we read books about friends (Bear's New Friend and also Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy), sang songs about using our manners, made friendship bracelets out of cereal, and made a hand print garden of friends. We used a paper heart and toothpaste to help us understand how words hurt and are hard to take back. And we had an amazing snack of friendship salad. Fruits of all kinds coming together to make one yummy treat.




It was so much fun and I learned so much as did the kids. Lilly told us in the car the other day that she really liked it when she had mommy as her teacher. Reassurance I must be doing something right.

No comments: