Saturday, June 12, 2010

Hospital stay

Because Kyle was born so quickly he was very out of sorts. He was not a very happy camper and did not want to nurse for the first 2 or 3 hours. The nurse assured me that it was just because he was a little bruised and it might be a little painful for him. Right after he was born I felt immediate relief. Like my normal self again. I consider myself very very lucky because I had absolutely no pain. I didn't tear and I didn't even bruise. (I remember with Lilly being so bruised and what not that I could barely sit the first week or so) I had some discomfort, but it was nothing more than what one might experience during their menstrual cycle.

Even though I was feeling so incredible Kyle and I had to stay all day Saturday and all day Sunday. I had tested positive very early on for Group B strep and because the labor went so quickly they were not able to administer the antibiotics through my IV to protect the baby, which meant keeping him for observation for 48 hours. It was very hard for me to be at the hospital and be away from Lilly. I have never spent more than 2 or 3 hours away from her and to spend 2 days and 2 nights was killer. I thought about her constantly.
Ziff stayed Friday night/Saturday with me and Kyle. He was able to get a little sleep but I was so amped up that I wasn't. I spent that whole night/day watching Kyle and watching tv. (they had cable at the hospital and it was really nice to actually have a selection of things to watch. Saturday morning I got to talk to Lilly and she seemed to be having a great time at her friends house. When I talked to her she was playing outside "driving". It brought me comfort knowing that she wasn't distraught from being separated from us for such a long period. Saturday and Sunday were spent relaxing and just spending time with Kyle . It was nice to not have to cook and for 2 days just pick up the phone and order whatever I pleased and have it delivered right to me. I think for that reason, I would stay at the hospital forever. Both nights I had a delicious salmon with fruit glaze, steamed broccoli and baked potato with a salad on the side and yummy chocolate cake for dessert. I figured I should indulge on it while there because once i got home I would not be getting to eat such things with my picky family.
I wanted to get out of there to get home and be with Lilly, but Kyle had a small fever Saturday night and so they denied us. He recovered from his fever quickly and seemed to be doing really well. He was nursing great, although he nursed what seemed like every hour sometimes and he was having great poops and pees. Lilly was able to come ad visit us both Saturday evening and Sunday. She did really great, but got bored very quickly so was only able to stay for an hour each time. It was great for her to get to meet her brother and she seemed to like him from the get go. She was a little confused at first that mommy's belly was gone and now there was this wiggly thing that everyone kept calling her brother.
It was a nice stay and the nurses wer great. They kept me company while Ziff was gone and took great care of me. I am very sad that the rest of our kids won't be born at PVH, since it was such a wonderful experience.

No comments: